Monday, June 17, 2013

Sermon: The Father I Wish I Had

Recently I read a book called Little Britches, by Ralph Moody. It is an autobiographical tale from his early childhood as his family moved from New Hampshire to Colorado. It is a fabulous book, but as I read it I could not help but be drawn to Ralph's father. The way Ralph described his dad prompted me to think of the kind of father I wish I could have had growing up.

I wish I had a father who...




  • Taught me God’s word (Gen. 18:19; Deut. 4:5-9; 6:4-7; Eph. 6:4).
  • Disciplined me with love (Prov. 13:24; 19:18; 22:15; 23:13-14).
  • Provided for my needs (2 Cor. 12:14).
  • Showed me how to be a good husband (Prov. 5:15-23).


While I did not have an earthly father to do those things, I do have a heavenly Father who...

  •     Teaches me His word (Eph. 4:11-12; 2 Tim. 1:5; 3:14- 15; Phil. 2:19-22).
  •     Disciplines me with love (Heb. 12:3-7).
  •     Provides for my needs (Luke 18:28-30).
  •     Shows me how to be a good husband (Eph. 5:25-29).

1 comment:

  1. Aye,

    Oh, amazing love!

    I certainly have been filled with Father's (God) love since He drew me to Himself (in the 70's). He is good, faithful. This/His love is so real beyond all that is in the world.
    Amazing Love. Jn. 14: “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.... In that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.” ......... Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.

    It is too good. Too good.
    Dave
    ( I just commented on your ESV & NASB comparison)
    & oh, I may know a bit about not really having an earthly father...

    --Now I have to figure out how to find your site again to read responses, etc. .....

    ReplyDelete