Monday, June 4, 2012

Family Feuds

I am distantly related to the McCoy clan of the infamous Hatfield-McCoy feud. The Scotts intermarried with the McCoys very early in the 1800s, so my shared connections with the McCoys go way back. In view of the History Channel's recent mini-series on the feud, I started thinking about the passages in the New Testament that address conflicts that occur between members of God's family. Maybe you can think of some more relevant passages, but here are three points that emerged for me as I looked at these verses. Feuds are caused by:


  • Jealousy and selfish ambition – James 3:13-4:3; 1 John 3:11-15
  • Loyalty to earthly ties taking precedence over loyalty to God - 1 Cor. 3:1-4; 1:11-13
  • Taking vengeance into one's own hand – Matt. 26:51-53; Rom. 12:17-21; 1 Cor. 6:1-11
Incidentally, if you would like to listen to this sermon, click this link.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Shane for the information you preached on regarding family feud. I have been praying about somethings recently regarding some people that are members of the church who are having family feuds. It is sad because it is among the elderly of that family as well as the young. Sad because there will be no change, years from now, if there is no desire amongst them to change it now. Hence, you will have, history repeating itself with later generations that are born into that family. It is very sad and I have been praying about what to do because the bitterness is trickling over into innocent people's homes. But I thank you very much for taking the time to have this blog and to post a link to your sermon. I hope all is well and many congratulations to you and your wife on your marriage. You're one of the good old boys...Lol. No matter what you dear old roomate use to say. Just kidding. You both are good men.
    Millie Derringer (AKA Midred McGee..old friend)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting (not to mention very sad) that families can get along for years and then things happen to tear it asunder. In my own family, a niece with an addiction and some mental issues came to live with me for a time several years ago. Actually she was my niece by a former marriage but I had still held tight to that relationship. No one else would take her in. She was very disfunctional and all knew this. Yet, the lies she told while living with me has completely ruined the relationship I had with my sister-in-law and her family. Now - those ties that were bound for years are completely severed. I just pray for her and all of us. It is really too sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the word you both used is spot on - "sad." What a travesty when the family of God does not demonstrate the power the gospel has to heal relationships.

    ReplyDelete