Friday, September 23, 2011

Who Is the Brother You Like the Least?

Last night after speaking to the New Salisbury church I had a wonderful conversation with my friend Gary Fisher. He told me that he had recently preached a sermon elsewhere about love from First Corinthians 13, with special emphasis on how to love the brother you liked the least in the congregation. After the sermon, a man came forward,
and Gary asked him what was on his mind. The man replied, "When you started you sermon, I was thinking about a certain person, but halfway through I began to think of someone else. I realized that the brother I liked least was me. I do not like what I have become."


When Gary told me this it reminded me of a famous anecdote from the life of the great British writer, G.K. Chesterton. When a newspaper posed the question, ‘What’s Wrong with the World?’  Chesterton wrote a brief letter in response:
Dear Sirs:
I am.
Sincerely Yours,
G. K. Chesterton.
Other people may have lots of problems, but as Jesus said, we should first take the log out of our own eye before we pick specks from others (Matthew 7:5). Ray Stevens put it like this:


A little private conversation, a little self examinationA little attitude correction, a little soul search and inspectionStart headin' in the right directionTake a little walk (take a little walk)Have a little talk with myseelf 

No comments:

Post a Comment