Monday, January 3, 2011

Logos 4 Custom Bible Reading Plan

Back in November I decided to take the plunge and buy Logos 4 (I got it at an enormous discount at a conference). Logos 4 is an amazing Bible study tool that seemlessly integrates thousands of resources in a digital format. I am in the initial stages of learning how to use the program, but it has already proven its worth.

One of the cool features of Logos is that it enables you to create a custom Bible reading plan. For several years I have used the plan developed by Mark Roberts. This year I wanted to try something different. And with the help of Logos I have created my own reading schedule.

I chose the following options:
  • A plan that has readings for each weekday (Monday - Friday).
  • A plan that will finish the entire Bible in a year.
  • A plan that includes readings every day from each major section of the Bible (Genesis-Esther; Job-Song of Solomon; Isaiah-Malachi; the New Testament).
So today's reading will be Genesis 1-2; Job 1; Isaiah 1; and Matthew 1. This way I will get a portion of narrative, a portion of poetry, a portion of prophecy, and a portion of the New Testament every day.

One of the blessings that comes from this sort of schedule is that it opens the door to connections between parts of Scripture one might not normally read together. So I am excited at the prospect of all sorts of new discoveries this year, and from time to time I will share them with you.

In the meantime, let me encourage you to find time for the word every day.
How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.
With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!
I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O LORD;
teach me your statutes!
With my lips I declare
all the rules of your mouth.
In the way of your testimonies I delight
as much as in all riches.
I will meditate on your precepts
and fix my eyes on your ways.
I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word. (Psalm 119:9-16)

1 comment:

  1. Shane, I've been using Logos since about 1997 and gone through the ups and downs with the company. They hit a GRAND SLAM with Logos 4! I've even had workshops with some brethren who now use it during Bible classes and sermons at the building. I hope you get as much out of it as is available to use. Call if you have questions.

    ReplyDelete